In Conversation with Ms Suman Dhanota, Bunkar Sakhi, Jaipur Rugs Foundation
Ms. Suman Dhanota has been doing carpet weaving since the age of 15. She has been associated with Jaipur Rugs Foundation for 10 years. Suman ji is a Bunkar Sakhi and is supervising the work of 64 looms across 2 villages and more than two hundred and fifty weavers. This work has given her a lot of encouragement and enhanced her personality It has also provided her an identity and has boosted her spirits. Today she is able to send her children to a good school, which was always her dream.
She answered the following questions during the interview:
- Tell us about yourself, where are you from, where do you work and how long have you been associated with JRF?
- Share your journey from being a Bunkar to Bunkar Sakhi and what inspires you to be most?
- What is a Bunkar Sakhi? Can you explain us a little? And how many years have you been doing this work?
- What has changed in your family and your life by becoming a Bunkar Sakhi and after joining the organization?
- Share with us an anecdote that is very close to your heart and inspires you to do your work with more dedication and hard work.